Thursday, July 26, 2012

Adventuring

A few years ago my sister had two ducks, one named Snow. The bigger one (not Snow) would lead that foolish duck all over the yard, down the street, across the road, and into the trailer park; waddling and quacking as they went. We'd look out our window and sure enough there would be Snow dutifully following her leader across the neighbors yard, across the street, and back into our dooryard. Eventually the big duck was eaten by some wild thing and a few years later, Snow as well. My Dad did not wish to repeat our mistakes and so a plan was carried out to keep the ducks on our property. 

We fenced in a small area by the duck's house near the shallow end of the pond. The goal: ducks in the pond or in the fence; not in the yard, garden, or trailer park. For the first few weeks they refused to leave the fenced in area. Then last week the littles plopped down into the water and a day or two later the big ducks jumped down in too.


Today Mom was in the garden weeding the potatoes and I was in the daycare yard with the kiddos. I could hear the little ducks making all sorts of racket, but I ignored them, because ducks make noise. Then I noticed that they sounded louder than usual. They didn't sound like they were in the pond any more. In fact they sounded like they were out of the pond.

I stood up from where I was watching the kids and walked to the white fence that marked the end of daycare and the beginning of farm. The big ducks were very loud and making a noise that sounded like "come back here" to the little ducks. As I got to the fence I saw seven gray and white ducks happily wandering around nibbling at the grass.


Mom said to me from the row of potatoes, "I think the big ducks are calling the little ones back."

We watch the little ducks for a time. They circled back and headed back into the pond. I walked back to my spot on the swing, but not for long. About three minutes later I heard the ducks making a racket again and so I rose to my feet to take a peek. Sure enough the little ducks were out again foraging, and the big ones were calling them back. After a few minutes the little ducks obligingly went back into the pond.


I returned to my spot in the daycare yard, and picked up my knitting. Not even five minutes later I hear my Mom bellow, "Delia!" I come trotting over, camera in hand.



All eleven ducks were out of the pond and walking through the garden! They waddled over to the chickens nibbling and munching on tasty bits. I was able to snap a few close ups, previously they ran from me, so that you can see the beautiful coloring of our seven "little ducks'.



The question now remains: will they end up in the road?



No comments: